Atty/Dr. Leo Olarte is both a lawyer and a medical doctor specializing in orthopedics. He was the president of the Philippine Medical Association from 2013 to 2014 and is the current president of Clean Air Philippines Movement, Incorporated.
He is also a professor of law at the Far Eastern University Institute of Law and the University of the East College of Law.
In his first electoral bid, Olarte is campaigning on investing in research and development programs and infrastructure and providing free health insurance for every Filipino. Across interviews, Olarte has emphasized the need of the Senate for a member coming from the medical field to lead the government’s pandemic response.
Kailangan ng doktor sa Senado para magamot ang number one problema ng mundo at Pilipinas: COVID-19. It is a medical problem that we must destroy as soon as possible. It is logical that the final solution for this COVID-19 will come from qualified medical experts and not from any field.”
LEO OBIAS OLARTE
Full Name: Leo Obias Olarte
Nickname: Atty./Dr. Olarte
Birthdate: October 6, 1954 (Age 69)
Birthplace: Caloocan City
Residence: Quezon City
Province: Iligan City
Languages Spoken: Filipino; English
Profession or Occupation: Lawyer/Physician
- Studied at Mountain View College (Bukidnon)
- President, Clean Air Philippines Movement Incorporated, current
- Professor on Legal Medicine, Far Eastern University- Dr. Nicanor Reyes Medical Foundation Institute of Medicine
- Professor of Law, FEU Institute of Law and University of the East College of Law
- President, Philippine Medical Association, 2013-2014
- Former vice president, Philippine Hospital Association
ACHIVEMENT AND AFFILIATIONS
- Ph.D. in Educational Management (On Going)
- Masters in Hospital Management
- Lawyer and Orthopedic Surgeon
- Fellow, Philippine Orthopedic Association
- Fellow, Philippine College of Surgeons
- Fellow, International College of Surgeons
- Diplomate, Philippine Board of Orthopedics, Inc.
- Fellow, Philippine Society of Anatomists
- Member, Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- Member, IBP Quezon City and QC Trial Lawyers Society Past •
- Past Chairman, Department of Surgery, National Children’s Hospital, QC.
- Former President, Philippine Medical Association
- Former Vice President, Philippine Hospital Association
- Former Legal Counsel, Philippine Hospital Association
Olarte was the president of the Philippine Medical Association from 2013 to 2014.
He and four previous PMA heads faced ethics cases before the Professional Regulation Commission for alleged fraud in the registration of the Philippine Society for Stem Cell Medicine with the Securities and Exchange Commission. PRC Chair Teresita Manzala also accused them of forging her signature in the PRC endorsement for the incorporation of PSSCM. Olarte claimed that Manzala filed such ethics cases to ruin his chances of winning reelection as PMA president, with Manzala siding with doctors who oppose stem cell medicine. He also denied forging her signature, further claiming that PMA paid a private trading company to process PSSCM’s registration with the SEC.
Olarte was replaced as PMA head due to the pending ethics case and tax evasion charges filed by the BIR.
Olarte also teaches legal medicine and law at several universities.