Doc Willie Ong is an internal medicine specialist, cardiologist, author and medical commentator who gained popularity primarily through social media where he offers medical and healthcare-related advice.
He has been supportive of the COVID-19 vaccines’ efficacy, a contrast to his vocal opposition to the dengue vaccine, Dengvaxia. The involvement of high-profile figures like Ong in the propagation of unsubstantiated stories about the Dengvaxia controversy may have caused vaccine hesitancy during that period that stretches on until the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to critics. Ong maintains his stance that there is no conflict between his beliefs, arguing that Dengvaxia is different from the COVID-19 vaccines.
Doctor Willie Ong is a Cardiology consultant at Manila Doctor Hospital and at Makati Medical Center.
Willie Tan Ong was born on the 24th of October 1963 in Manila, Philippines; the son of .
“Ang focus natin talaga ay sa pagtulong sa ating ekonomiya, sa pagkain, sa kalusugan, sa trabaho. At ang pinaka-focus ay ‘yung maghilom ang bansa. Hindi tayo magfo-focus sa mga away-pulitika kasi nakita natin doon nagkakaroon ang problema at doon bumabagal ang pagtulong ng gobyerno.”
WILLIE “DOC WILLIE” TAN ONG
Complete Name: William Tan Ong
Nickname: Doc Willie
Birthdate: October 24, 1963 (Age 60)
Birthplace: Tondo, Manila, Philippines
Spouse: Dra. Anna Liza Ramoso
Parents: Yong and Juanita Tan Ong
Children: Two daughters
Education In 1992, Willie Tang Ong graduated from De La Salle College Medicine, Cavite, Philippines with a Doctor of Medicine degree. From 1994-1996 he studied at Manila Doctor Hospital, specialty in internal medicine. From 1997-1999, he studied at the University of Philippines, specialty in cardiology with a Master degree in Public Health (honorary), 2001.
- University of the Philippines Diliman (Bachelor of Science in Botany)
- De La Salle Medical and Health Sciences Institute (Cavite) (Medicine with specialization in internal medicine and cardiology)
- University of the Philippines Manila (2001) (Master in Public Health)
Doctor Willie Ong works as a Medical director at Pasay Filipino-Chinese Charity Health Center, Inc., Pasay City, Philippines, since 1998. He serves as a Cardiology consultant at Manila Doctor Hospital, since 2001 and at Makati Medical Center, Makati City, Philippines.
- 2010-2014 – Consultant, Department of Health (DOH)
- 2009-2017 – Host, Docs on Call, a radio prograom of DZRH
- 1999 – Chief Fellow, Philippine General Hospital
- 1996-1999 – Chief Resident Physicain, Manila Doctors Hospital
- 1991-present – Medical Director, Pasay Charity Health Center
- Columnist, Pilipino Star Ngayon
- Columnist, Philippine Star
- Founder, Movement of Idealistic and Nationalistic Doctors (MIND), a non-profit organization that seek to encourage and support doctors to stay in the country.
Achievements and Awards
He is a founder of Co Tec Tai Medical Museum and Movement of Idealistic and Nationalistic Doctor, Manila. He is a Fellow of Philippine College Cardiology and Philippine College of Physicians (Presidential award 2003, 2005).
- 2007 – Outstanding Filipino Physician Award by the Department of Health and JC International Senate
- 2003 & 2005 – Presidential Award by the Philippine College of Physicians
- Affordable Medicine and Free Consultation
- Improve Health Facilities
- Legalization of Marijuana